Wednesday, May 5, 2010

An Oddly Delicious Springtime Soup

Last summer we had a surplus of rhubarb, with a combination from my own plant, my dad's, and our CSA share. After making everything I could think of with it fresh, I chopped and froze several quart sized bags, with the intention of making lots of winter treats, compotes, and soups, but I still have a few bags left as the green leaves are quickly popping up out of the ground. Soon I will be harvesting fresh, so I need to use up what we already have. Rhubarb-Lentil Soup has become a spring staple in our family. It's inexpensive, delicious, and gives a gourmet twist to an easy dinner. I was intrigued when I stumbled on the recipe in Cooking Light magazine a few years ago, and I've since adapted the original to better suit our family. I increased the amount of ingredients so we'd have a bit leftover, but if you find yourself with a little too much soup, pack it into quart sized jars and freeze for a quick meal later on.

Rhubarb-Lentil Soup with Creme Fraiche

extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 cups petite green lentils (also called French green lentils)
3 cups chopped carrot
2 1/2 cups chopped celery
2 1/4 cups chopped onion (red or yellow)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tbsp dried)
3 cups chopped rhubarb
6 cups chicken or vegetable broth, homemade if possible
3/4 tsp sea salt
pepper, to taste
dill, fresh if possible
creme fraiche (or sour cream or yogurt)

Heat a stockpot over medium high heat. Add a little olive oil and saute the carrot, celery, and onions until softened, stirring occasionally and adjusting the heat so they don't brown. Add the rhubarb and parsley and saute about 5 more minutes. Stir in broth, salt, and lentils. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until lentils are tender, about 40 minutes.

Puree mixture in a blender (in batches). Return to pan and stir in pepper.

After pouring soup into bowls, add a tablespoon or so of creme fraiche. Sprinkle with dill and serve.

Serves about 6 as a main dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment