Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Tidbits for Cakes, etc.

I have been really, really busy this week! While my posts have been less frequent, I have still been very active in the kitchen. I have just been making easy things that I can throw together; nothing too special that I care to post about.

There is a fundraiser event coming up this Saturday that I have been helping out with. In addition to many other things I'm doing for this, I am donating several cakes and other goodies to be auctioned off. In preparation, and in trying to keep somewhat ahead of the schedule, I have been making one or two things each day, ahead of time. Obviously I wouldn't want to make the fresh items this early, but the treats that will hold well will save me oodles of time if done in advance.

A wonderful cake filling that many people would never think of is whipped creme fraiche. It holds very well for long periods of time, unlike whipped cream, and has a flavor with an unexpected depth to it. I made too much last spring and left it, sweetened and whipped, in my refrigerator for a few days. It was still perfect! Of course, I would never do that intentionally, as it only takes a few minutes to whip up, but it does take 24 hours to "brew" on the countertop. Once it's been cultured, it will keep, covered in the fridge, for two weeks. Try it plain as a garnish for soups or instead of sour cream or mayonnaise in a chicken or potato salad. Once it's been sweetened and whipped, it makes a fabulous topping for strawberries or other fresh fruit, or even as a base for a luscious mousse.

I have also made some candied lemon peel. The first time I did this, I was skeptical. Lemon zest does give great flavor to cakes and other baked goods, but I really don't care to eat it plain. I was so happy that I gave it a try, however! It makes a stunning garnish for cakes and other desserts, holds up well for several weeks, and is absolutely delicious. Like sweet lemon head candy. Yum!

Creme Fraiche

Stir together:
1 cup whipping cream
2 tbsp buttermilk

Cover bowl with a sheet of paper towel or a clean dish cloth. Leave it, undisturbed, on the countertop for 24 hours. The good bacteria need time to multiply; you won't get sick!! It will have thickened considerably. Cover tightly and refrigerate up to two weeks.

To use as a cake filling:

Add 2 tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla. Using an electric mixer, starting on low and increasing to high, whip until soft peaks form. Serve, fill your cake, or cover tightly and chill up to two days (or maybe a bit longer?).

Candied Lemon Peel

Use as a garnish for lovely desserts or enjoy as a special treat by itself!

Wash and scrub two lemons, preferably organic. Using a vegetable peeler, remove zest in long, wide strips. Use as-is or trim and slice into long, even strips.

In a small saucepan, bring to boiling:
3/4 cup water
1 1/2 cups sugar

Once the sugar has completely dissolved, stir in the lemon peel. reduce heat and simmer lightly for 40 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely in the syrup. At this stage, you may leave it in the syrup for up to three weeks. Otherwise, remove strips to drain on a paper towel. For glossy pieces, allow to air dry on a rack or waxed paper (after draining), or roll them in sugar for an artful presentation.

If you choose to leave the candied peel in the syrup, it may crystallize a bit, making it difficult to remove the strips without them tearing. Heat slightly in the microwave to dissolve, then proceed.

No comments:

Post a Comment