Monday, March 8, 2010

Delicious Cupcakes filled with Buttercream and dipped in Mocha Ganache

I happened to have about 1 1/2 cups of French Buttercream icing leftover from last weekend's cake in the fridge. It doesn't keep forever, and I wanted to use it up in some scrumptious way. Plus, I have some of the new King Arthur Unbleached Cake Flour that I've been wanting to try out. Next week I am making a birthday cake for my husband's grandpa, but I get a little anxious when trying out new ingredients for an event that matters, so I needed to give that new flour a test run. Cupcakes are a great way to check how a recipe will work out, and they can be frozen and tossed in a lunchbox later on.
I was so pleased with how the new flour tested. I used the same yellow cake recipe I always do, only with some flours the tops will be flat across the muffin tin. I like a domed top and a fine crumb. These baked into the most beautiful cupcakes I've made yet. I'm sold! Unfortunately, the cake flour is only available through the mail, it's expensive, and I have to pay shipping charges. Once in a while I'll enjoy using it, especially when I want stellar results!

Now, I did use the same basic yellow cake recipe that I use for vanilla cakes, but with just a few adjustments. I added a bit of almond flavor, used the cake flour instead of all-purpose, and had to increase the amount for the right structure, since cake flour is so much more fine than regular. Absolutely outstanding!


Moist Cupcakes with Mocha Ganache

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Line 12 muffin cups with papers.*

Cream 1/4 cup softened butter with 3/4 cup sugar.

Beat in 1 egg and 1 egg yolk. Add 1/4 tsp vanilla and 1/4 tsp almond extract. Beat well to combine.
Add:
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp milk (whole or 2%)
1 1/4 cups cake flour (or 1 cup plus 2 tbsp all-purpose)
Beat on high speed three minutes, scraping sides as needed. (If you under or overbeat the batter, your results will change.) Divide between muffin cups. Bake 20-25 minutes. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack (this keeps them nice and moist).
If filling the cupcakes with buttercream, attach a mid-size circular tip to a pastry bag. Fill with icing. Jam the tip all the way into each cupcake and squeeze until the cupcake begins to slightly bulge. Remove (there will be a little hole at the top of the cake) and set aside.
Mocha Ganache
Melt approximately 8 oz best quality dark chocolate, being careful not to overheat. Whisk in 1/2 cup whipping cream and 1/4 tsp instant espresso powder. Continue whisking until smooth, thickened, and glossy.
Hold a cupcake by the wrapper and dip, swirling in the ganache. Tip upright and if there's a hole where the filling shows through, add a dollop on top to cover it. Set aside. Repeat with remaining cupcakes. Let stand until the chocolate is set, about 10 minutes.
If you'd like to freeze these, place them, unwrapped, on a plate in the freezer. When they're solid, remove and wrap individually in plastic or foil. Seal all in a zip-top baggie and refreeze.
These defrost nicely; the chocolate will be perfectly set and not bleed or get all over the wrapper once defrosted.
Makes 12 cupcakes.
If you have extra ganache, put the bowl in the fridge until solid. Scoop into balls, roll in cocoa powder, and...VIOLA! An added bonus: Truffles! :)
*I use the brown muffin cup liners sold in the natural foods section. They're silicone lined and work very nicely. If you choose to use the standard colored papers, lightly spray with canola oil before filling. Then your cakes won't stick to the sides!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, I have tried to fix the spacing issues on my blog, but the posts don't always cooperate. Even though I type it one way, spacing between paragraphs, it doesn't publish that way. Irritating!!

    ReplyDelete