Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Another Warming Soup For A Freezing Day

Every year I get to go somewhere for a few days...alone. No kids, no guy...just me (and whomever I get to visit). This year I went north, to Portland, Oregon, to spend a few days with my younger sister. She spent the last 10 years living in New York and has only been back on the west coast for about six months, so she's eager to share her discovery process with anyone who may (or may not) be game. We walked our legs off and had a very good time, eating delicious vegetarian fare and checking out various shops and dog-friendly restaurants (yes, you actually take your mutt in the eatery with you).

One of the awesome dining options Portland has to offer are the mobile dining cars. What a great opportunity for someone who doesn't want the overhead of a large restaurant but still would like to dabble in food service! They are scattered everywhere throughout the city, some in clusters. We had a drizzle-y lunch at SW 5th and Stark, being tempted by numerous amazing options. I found an amazing soup cart that offered me samples of all FOUR of their soups; I ended up choosing the Red Lentil and Cauliflower, a Vegan option that was heavenly, warming, and satisfying. I was inspired to make my own for my family upon returning home, and I jazzed my version up by including coconut milk and sweet curry powder.

Coconut Curry Soup with Red Lentils and Cauliflower

1/2 of a yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 rib of celery, sliced thinly
1 carrot, chopped
3 tsp Sweet Curry Powder (Penzey's blend)
1/2 head cauliflower, chopped
3/4 cup red lentils
6 cups vegetable broth, plus more to thin, if desired
14 oz lite coconut milk
salt and pepper, to taste

In 1 tbsp olive oil, saute onion over medium-high heat until translucent. Add garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in curry powder. Add remaining vegetables, lentils, and 6 cups broth.

Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until the lentils and veggies are tender, about 25 minutes or so. Puree in batches in a blender, adding a bit more broth if necessary.

Return to soup pot, stir in coconut milk, and heat over medium, stirring. Do not boil! Add salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment