Saturday, March 27, 2010

Enchilada Night!

Many people have given me delicious enchilada recipes, and I do make most of them on occasion. I like to rotate versions, however; there are so many possibilities and variations that one will never get in a rut or be bored with using only one recipe.

For red sauce-coated enchiladas I prefer corn tortillas. The sauce softens them, soaking in, and creates a wonderful flavor and texture. This time I made a beef version, but chicken, pork, or a vegetarian variation would be delicious as well. I like to cook a large roast (or a whole chicken) all day in the Crock-Pot, until the meat falls apart. You can throw the meat in with some salsa or chopped veggies and forget about it until later in the afternoon. I used a chuck roast, one chopped onion, some green chilies, two chipotle peppers (slow cooking mellows the spiciness), and some crushed tomatoes, let it cook all day, and then shredded the meat. The chili sauce is reminiscent of the tasty canned stuff, but much better for you, easy to make, and a wonderful not-too-spicy flavor.


Beef Enchiladas in a Red Chili Sauce


1 12 oz package corn tortillas (or 2 pkgs if you'd like a second pan to freeze)
colby jack cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
sour cream
chopped or sliced olives
meat from a 4 lb roast, cooked and shredded (approx weight)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

In a large saucepan, combine:
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp flour

Stir until no lumps remain, using a whisk, cook 1 minute, then add:
1/4 cup chili powder (I used 2 tbsp New Mexico and 2 tbsp Ancho)*
Cook 30 seconds, until fragrant.

Whisk in:
2 cups beef broth
10 oz tomato paste
1/2 tsp granulated garlic
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt (optional, depending on the amount of salt that's in your broth and tomato paste)

Cook over medium heat until slightly thickened and combined.

Spray a 13x9" pan lightly with canola oil. Spread about 1/2 cup sauce in the bottom, just enough to lightly coat the surface. Set aside.

To assemble enchiladas:

Heat a griddle over high heat. Turn heat down to medium and warm tortillas a few seconds on each side, until pliable. Place in a towel to keep warm. Fill with a small scoop of beef (approx 1/4 cup) and about 1 tbsp of cheese. Roll and place in prepared pan, seam side down. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Pour half of the enchilada sauce over the tops, spreading to coat completely. Sprinkle with more cheese. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30-40 min. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top with sour cream and olives.

If you'd like an easy dinner option for the future, freeze the remaining meat for tacos or another recipe (you will probably use only half for the one dish of enchiladas). Or, while the first pan is in the oven, heat a second package of tortillas, fill, and use the rest of the sauce. Cover tightly and freeze for a hectic night. I was able to make a second pan in under 10 minutes, which still left me enough time to get a salad together and make a quick dish of mashed beans. Allow about one hour to bake the frozen enchiladas.

*I buy New Mexico chili powder in the Mexican Foods section. It's sold rather inexpensively in plastic bags with the other Mexican spices. The Ancho chili powder comes from Penzey's. Be sure to use powder from actual chilies and not a mixed chili powder (like McCormick). The pre-mixed varieties have other spices added and extra salt.


1 comment:

  1. Okay, I highly enjoy your blog, and learn a lot from it, but I would like to launch an official complaint. You're bad for my budget!! I got my first Penzey catalog and made a little order. I became so smitten that I made a trek to the other side of Portland to visit their retail store which was a very bad idea. Once you walk in and start sniffing, you just can't control yourself. I couldn't anyways, and spent way more than I should. So thanks. I blame you :).

    ReplyDelete