Monday, May 17, 2010

Homemade Cheese. Yes, really!

Last summer I began to dabble in cheesemaking. I think it's best to leave the complicated varieties to people who have a better set-up than I for the aging process, and I don't ever care to attempt something so complicated (especially when others do such a wonderful job...Tillamook!). Fresh mozzarella and ricotta, however, have become a mainstay in our household. For the cost of a gallon of milk you get twice as much cheese as you'd buy in the store for half the money!

I needed to make ricotta tonight to get ready for my husband's birthday this week. His absolute favorite dish is lasagna and he loves cannoli; both use large quantities of the stuff. Next time you're in the cheese section, pick up a tub of ready-made ricotta cheese and read the ingredients. You'll be amazed at the stabilizers, preservatives, and other additives, especially after reading the following recipe.

This cheese melts very well in various dishes, but it's also very tasty alone. I like to spread it on toast and drizzle with honey, or mix in a little salt and use it as an appetizer (shape it in a mold and pour a savory spicy jelly or salsa over the top). To make it more creamy, cut down the draining time and/or add a little cream to it. Similarly, if you are looking for a dry texture, let it drain longer, maybe even overnight in the refrigerator.

Fresh Ricotta Cheese

1 gallon whole milk*
1 tsp citric acid**
1 tsp kosher salt, optional

Pour the milk into a large stockpot. Add the citric acid and, if using, the salt. Stir well. Heat, stirring to avoid scorching, until 195 degrees, but do not boil! You will notice large curds starting to form. Remove from heat and let stand, undisturbed, 5-10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the curds into a strainer lined with cheesecloth (a double or triple thickness to avoid curd seepage). Let stand about 30 minutes. Transfer to a glass bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed.

Makes about 3 cups.


*The type of milk used is very important. Many varieties of organic milk have been ultra pasteurized and will not curdle correctly; I tried Umpqua Organic today and had this problem even though the label didn't specify that it was UP milk. I had to discard the whole batch. I have had much success with store brands, though. Just make sure it's from cows not treated with rBST or antibiotics! Oh, and I have used 2% milk, but the cheese isn't as creamy and the yield is smaller.


**Citric acid can be found in your local grocery store. Just ask! I found it to be located with the bulk spices in the natural foods section. Or, you can order it from the New England Cheese Making Supply Company.

2 comments:

  1. So glad you posted this one - I've been wanting to do this for awhile now.... The Persian families I knew in Zambia made fresh soft cheese all the time (served mostly on toast), but I remember them using fresh lemon juice to aid in the curdling process. Thanks! :)

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, both lemon juice and vinegar can be used as curdling agents, but they each create a different type of cheese. Same with the temp the milk is heated to. I have the Home Cheesemaking cookbook that has many recipes for soft cheeses; it's kind of fun to read about how easy they are supposed to be to make! I'm going to start experimenting again, I think!

    ReplyDelete