Sunday, May 16, 2010

Farmer's Markets

I absolutely love Farmer's Markets (it seems like it should be Farmers' Markets, though, since it's not just one farmer selling stuff, but whatever...). Our local venue doesn't start until mid-June; our growing season is remarkably short compared to some places I read about and sometimes visit. It is getting progressively larger each year with added community support, and I hope this year proves to be even better than last! It is so fun to talk to people who care about what they eat and who obviously take such pride in what they produce. I almost always come away feeling like I learned something new, especially in larger cities.

I was up in Portland, OR, again this past weekend, and I was able to choose from not one, but several markets! My sister and I took my children to the PSU Farmer's Market on Saturday. It is still very early in the season, so I didn't have my hopes very high, but the selection was amazing. Artisan breads, chocolates, and cheeses (from sheep, cow, and goat's milk). An array of various greens, amazing quantities of somewhat exotic mushrooms, hand made crafts and other goods, a tremendous array of bakeries selling treats, preserves, food carts selling all sorts of wonderful hot items that were ready-to-eat...the list goes on and on! Oh, and the samples...it was unfortunate that my family had made such a wonderfully delicious, large breakfast for us that morning! Actually, maybe that was a good thing so I didn't spend hundreds of dollars!

I ended up buying just a few items. My first pint of Oregon berries made it only as far as a bench located just outside of the entrance to the market; the four of us quickly devoured the red little gems. I also bought some morels, an Oregon black truffle, another type of cultivated mushroom that (I think) was called Bunashimeji, some wild leeks, hand crafted cream cheese (which is nothing like the store-bought stuff), and a loaf of artisan multigrain crusty bread. When I saw the mushrooms I was inspired to make a divine appetizer for dinner that night, and after spending about $33 I was really, really hopeful that my made up recipe (or lack thereof) would be tasty.

Oh. My. Goodness! I don't have any set quantities, as I just bought the items by the container and totally winged it, but I can describe how I did things and if you're ever presented with these items you can play around with the "recipe!" I chopped up half a bunch of wild leeks and some garlic and sauteed them in a little olive oil and butter (just a touch for richness). As they were starting to soften, I splashed in a little cabernet and then added the chopped mushrooms (never cook a truffle, though, or you'll ruin the flavor). I seasoned with salt and pepper, and then poured the mixture over a mound of the fresh cream cheese. It was topped with a sprinkle of parmesan and the small truffle, shaved over the top with my sister's zester, and served with a plate of sliced multigrain bread. Yum. Even my kids (who do not usually like mushrooms) thought it was divine. That amazing appetizer was followed by my sister's homemade spring veggie lasagna, consisting of garden-fresh herbs and some mustard greens we also picked up at the market. Delish!

As if I could top that experience, today we left the kids with the guys and headed out to a much smaller, yet still wonderful, neighborhood Farmer's Market. I had the opportunity to meet the owner/creator of Missionary Chocolates, who specializes in vegan flavors like Passionfruit-Lime, Meyer Lemon, Glorious Ginger, and Spicy Cinnamon Chipotle. I only wish I had a picture to share, but somehow they disappeared on the long drive home. My husband actually thinks they're better than some of our favorite artisan chocolate haunts like Lillie Belle Farms (Central Point, OR) and Donnelly Chocolates (Santa Cruz, CA). The flavors are so intense and bold, but not overpowering.

If I haven't already convinced you, Farmer's Markets are so important to support, on so many levels. It's sustainable to purchase directly from local businesses and it's fun to meet the people behind the scenes of such good foods, ingredients, and crafts. The rules of supply and demand shine brightly here; the more people who frequent these venues, the larger they'll become and the more varied their products (and possibly, the lower the prices due to competition. Now I just hope I can wait a few more weeks until ours starts up!

No comments:

Post a Comment