Sunday, June 13, 2010

A Potluck Side That Certainly Won't Be Duplicated...

There is a restaurant downtown that makes the most delicious potato salad. Never being much of a potato salad fan, I was hesitant to order it as a side, but the ingredients finally sold me. I liked it so much I had to return, order it again, and try to identify everything that I could taste in it. I came up with my own version that makes a quantity perfect for a summer BBQ or potluck, and it's one of those dishes that just gets better with time. I always make it a day ahead of time to allow the flavors to blend (and to save time the next day when I'm trying to get ready for that day's adventure or event).

Southwestern Potato Salad
2 1/2 lbs organic red potatoes, uniformly sized (so they cook evenly)
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tbsp dijon mustard
2 tbsp cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
1/2-1 canned chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped

Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cool water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until skins begin to crack and fork pierces the flesh easily. Drain, run cold water over to cool quickly, and peel (pull the skins off easily with your fingers). Cut into bite-sized chunks and place in a large glass bowl.

Stir together mayo, sour cream, vinegar, mustard, and chopped chipotle pepper (add more if you like things really spicy). Add salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste, then toss with potatoes.

Add 3/4-1 cup each:

cooked black beans
chopped cilantro
sliced red onion or chopped scallions
chopped bell pepper (red, green, orange, yellow, or any combination)
corn kernels (I like to roast 1 ear of corn on the BBQ and then cut the kernels off, but you may also use the frozen defrosted variety)
1 anaheim pepper, roasted, peeled, and chopped (or 1 can mild green chiles), optional

Chill at least several hours or overnight to allow the flavors to mingle and develop.

I used to cut the potatoes up before cooking them, but I found I would almost always overcook them as I was preparing the other ingredients. By leaving them whole they maintain their shape better and don't get soggy. Some recipes also suggest tossing the freshly cooked potato chunks with vinegar before adding the dressing, but I have found it doesn't make that much of a difference, if any. This is the easiest version, chock full of colorful veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment