Wednesday, June 16, 2010

So Simple, So Delicious...

Strawberries are wonderful. They're so pretty and cheerful, and it's not until strawberry season comes along that you know summer is truly here (even if it has been raining or overcast most of the time). The perky red gems taste delightful and are the number one fruit my family consumes the most of. I know I've mentioned before that it's hard for me to resist the store-bought ones as soon as they appear on shelves (but only the organic variety!!), and I count the days every year until I can make the trek to the Willamette Valley to get our annual hoard in June. Personally, I like to pick at least half of what we'll bring home because it's more economical (about $10 per bucket, and 1 1/4 buckets equals 1 flat) and it provides a fun educational experience for my children. This year, however, the weather has not been cooperative. The berries are a little less sweet than usual because of the lack of sun, and when we pulled up to the farm this morning it was pouring rain. The u-pick fields were closed. I was so glad that I hadn't brought my children along for the quick trip; they would have been so disappointed to not help pick! Alas, my mom and I were still able to stock up, buying out the farm stand* (they were low due to the rain, of course). I have enough to make several batches of jam (I like cooked strawberry and strawberry-rhubarb, made with Pomona's Pectin** and a lower sugar content), I freeze tons for smoothies and making things in the dead of winter, and we gorge ourselves on eating them fresh. Four flats is just enough to get me by until the local ones ripen!

After dinner tonight I whipped up a quick Strawberry Sorbet. Now, this is no ordinary sorbet. I just mash up the berries, sweeten them, freeze, and call it good! Very good! Of course, this will not even come close using California berries, even if the organic ones are so much better than conventional, but it's good to keep in mind for when the local ones start showing up at the Farmers' Market, in your garden, or if you decide to head north as well and do your own gathering...but use the store-bought if you're desperate, of course!


Fresh Strawberry Sorbet

1 1/2 pints field-fresh strawberries (picked that day, if possible)-
sweetener, to taste (about 1/4 cup honey, sugar, etc)

Wash and core berries. Coarsely mash using a potato masher, pastry blender, or a child's hands (they LOVE this messy job). Stir in your desired sweetener. Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions and serve!


*If you would like to pick amazingly wonderful strawberries too, there are many options in Oregon. You can always check out one of the prevalent, awesome Farmers' Markets in just about any town and pick some up there (but they'll be expensive). I have been going to Hansen's Coast Fork Farms in Creswell (about 5 minutes south of Eugene on I-5) for several years, and I think they grow the best ones (Benton Strawberry plants). For pre-picked flats, I paid $20, but if the u-pick id open (and it's not a downpour like it was this morning), it's $10/bucket. They're located on Sears Rd. in Creswell and can be reached at 541-895-3082. Hansen's sells certified organic berries as well as no-spray (which use conventional fertilizer, but no pesticides).

Because we cleaned Hansen's limited supply out, we stopped by another stand just outside of Pleasant Hill. Joe Cantrell owns the farm, they also do u-pick, and they don't spray either. Their flats were $19 each and featured two types of berries, a small one that is supposed to be good for jams and a larger table berry. They're very good, but not quite as sweet and full-flavored as the Benton variety. They're located right off Hwy 58 on the north side of town (lots of signs). They were very friendly, and I'll give them more business in the future! Just be sure to head north before the end of June or you'll miss out!

**Pomona's Pectin is an all-natural alternative to the standard pectin found in the canning supply section of the store. It's worth the hunt; I find it in the natural foods section in well stocked grocery stores for under $4 per box. I know that seems steep, but one box makes several batches of jam, recipes can be doubled or tripled, you can use any type of sweetener you like (and any amount), the final product always has a fabulous set, and it's very easy to use. You can find recipes and read more about it here.






No comments:

Post a Comment