Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Blueberry Season, Finally!

There is this pie that we have come to look forward to every spring, as the rhubarb starts to peek out of the ground. The first time I saw the recipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie, I was intrigued, even though it sounded kind of odd. Of course, I have learned that sounding odd and actually tasting odd are two completely different things, and I'm so glad I went ahead and tried it out. It's a staple of my pie recipe collection now.

My rhubarb is on it's last legs. I was planning on making this pie with the remainder of it, but yesterday I visited the Ashland Grower's Market and found a half flat of fresh blueberries. I could not resist, and I bought the whole thing. So the blueberries were calling to me from the back of our car the whole way home, and I knew I had to make a dessert with them today. Instead of Rhubarb Custard Pie, I thought we could try Blueberry Custard Pie. Instead of the sweet jelled fruit pie filling like a classic pie, it's updated to a creamy, fruity, but not too rich filling. You can cover this pie with meringue if you choose, but I like it in a more simplistic form, with maybe a little dollop of whipped cream or frozen yogurt.

Blueberry (or Rhubarb) Custard Pie

1 9" pie crust, unbaked
1/2 cup sugar (3/4 cup if using rhubarb instead)
1 tbsp butter, melted
2 eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
5 cups blueberries (or chopped rhubarb, about 1 1/2 lbs)
2 tbsp flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Chill your pie crust while you assemble the filling.

Place the sugar, butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Using a hand mixer, beat until creamy and well combined.

Toss the blueberries or rhubarb with the flour in another bowl. Add to the batter and fold in lightly. Pour into prepared pie shell.

Bake 1 1/4 hours, until the filling is firm. Cool on a wire rack. Serve at room temperature, or chill until needed.

If you want to add a meringue topping, beat 3 eggs whites and 1/4 tsp cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Gradually add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until stiff and glossy. Spread onto room temperature pie, sealing to the crust. Bake at 375 degrees until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Cool on wire rack 1 hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment