Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Beauty of Pesto

A few years ago, when I joined a local CSA, I received my first introduction to garlic scapes. What are garlic scapes, exactly? In the spring, the garlic bulb sends a curly green shoot out. If you (or the farmer) were to leave it alone, it would eventually bloom into a flower and produce seed. If you cut it off, however, the plant focuses on enlarging the bulb underground and you get a really tasty, once-a-year treat. With that first little bunch I was able to make some divine pesto, and later on I froze some for the upcoming winter. Now it's an annual tradition, and we are seriously addicted to the vibrant green puree! I make a lot, some for fresh use (it keeps a while in the fridge), and some for the freezer for winter days when we'd really like an early taste of spring.

I have tried numerous recipes for all sorts of pestos, from sun-dried tomato to fresh basil to garlic scapes, and I'm to a point where I don't really use a set recipe anymore. Sometimes I'll toast some walnuts and toss those in. Sometimes it'll be raw or toasted pine nuts. I've found that each version is just as wonderful, and it's fun to mix them up for various applications/dishes. The basic formula is always the same, although the amounts can be played with easily. Garlic Scape Pesto stays just as fresh and vibrantly colored even after it's defrosted from a several month long freeze. Toss some with pasta, spread it on focaccia, slather it on chicken breasts and then grill or bake them...use your imagination! I won a recipe contest with Bob's Red Mill a while back with my favorite grilled pizza recipe: Garlic Scape Pesto, mozzarella cheese, Oregon baby shrimp, and roasted red peppers.

Garlic Scape Pesto
Use as a slight guideline for your own version!

1 bunch fresh garlic scapes
1/4 cup pine nuts or walnuts, raw or toasted for a full flavor
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
extra virgin olive oil, 1/2-1 cup, depending on smoothness desired and personal preference
Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste, optional

Coarsely chop the scapes. Place them in the bowl of a large food processor with the cheese, nuts, and a drizzle of olive oil. Pulse until combined, then puree until desired consistency, adding more oil as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment