Thursday, April 8, 2010

Thoughts on Dairy...

A few years ago I did some research on Oregon's dairy products and was so happy to find that most Oregon farmers don't use rbST or antibiotics. Today I needed to buy some whipping cream to make creme fraiche, and after reading the labels I thought I should look into the brands a bit more closely, again, just to make sure.

Umpqua, Tillamook, and Darigold have all pledged to not use any milk coming from cows treated with rbGH/rbST. While it is incredibly difficult to test milk for growth hormones, all batches are tested for antibiotic residues. In the rare event that antibiotics may be found, the whole batch is discarded, never to reach our table. Great! Many of the store brands have followed; read the labels.

When I first became aware of the side effects and potential problems of using antibiotics and hormones in our food products, I instantly switched to organic everything. We use a lot of dairy items, though, and when the grocery budget started getting a bit scary I began doing my homework into the Oregon dairy policies. I am more selective now, and I like supporting the local farmers.

I am bothered by a few things that come with using the local dairy products. Take the whipping cream, for instance (and the organic brands are just as guilty). It's not just cream. It's also carrageenan, salt, and in some cases, polysorbate 80. Yum yum (or not). When I made a quick trip to Albertson's this afternoon, their store brand lists only cream. But it doesn't say anything about rbST. So which is better? Eating a bunch of preservatives or a bunch of hormones? Bleh. Why do the organic brands not cater to this and sell unadulterated cream products?

This particular reason is also why I don't buy Tillamook or Umpqua ice cream anymore. Both brands are filled with all sorts of interesting things, hardly food items, and sometimes they impart a gummy flavor. We make our ice cream, or I splurge and get Haagen Daazs once in a blue moon. (Of course, we rarely have ice cream around when I've been doing a lot of baking...I can't even remember the last time we had it for dessert!)

I suppose I am happy to be reassured that the milk we're drinking is "safe" (although it would be inherently better if it came from grass-fed cows) and that the majority of butter, cream, and other products are as well. It would just be nice if the companies could now regress a bit and take out some of the stabilizers and additives! Surely business would increase and they'd produce a better product!

(I have noticed that Tillamook is producing an "All Natural" sour cream. It's about time! It's just milk and enzymes. Nice!)

No comments:

Post a Comment