Friday, April 23, 2010

Simple, Delightful Comfort Food

I rarely enjoy cooking after traveling, even if it happens to be after a relatively short 2 1/2 hour trip. But add in a whole morning of kid entertainment and then a post picnic lunch afternoon drive behind a lot of truck traffic and...no thanks! It needs to be kept relatively simple, healthy, and appealing to children too.


There was a lone package of sausage in the meat drawer, and I knew that if I prepared it in any way other than gravy I could get complaints (well, my children like sausage in lasagna too, but often they deem it "spicy" in anything else). So I whipped up a quick batch of Barley Biscuits and some Sausage Gravy and called it good. Well, I also piled up the salad and strawberries too, but both children get extremely giddy whenever I make this comforting, rich food!


Easy Sausage Gravy


1 lb good quality bulk sausage*
2 1/2 cups milk (skim or lowfat)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
fresh from the oven biscuits


When you pop the biscuits in the oven to bake, brown the sausage in a large frying pan. Drain any grease. Sprinkle with the flour, then stir to coat. Pour in milk and cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.


Serves 4



*Check your local butcher for a good bulk breakfast sausage. We have a few good blends in town, but my absolute favorite sausage for biscuits and gravy is made by Taylor's in Cave Junction (available in Thunderbird for us locals!).

No comments:

Post a Comment