Friday, April 2, 2010

Sweets and Treats...Easter Style!

Did I mention that I'm super busy this week? My house has been neglected, but my family is still well-fed and I'm all caught up on the baking front. Tomorrow is the big event I'll be donating these desserts for...two humongous sets of cookies and two layer cakes (coming soon). I make everything from scratch, so it takes me a lot of time and energy. Really, it's a week of preparation, but I believe the result is a high-quality, delicious, and (hopefully) pretty result.

First up, I have a tray of large (approx 5") Spring Flower Sugar Cookies. I try to avoid artificial colors at all costs, but a week or so ago I had a big mishap with a new natural green color (let's just say it was more chartreuse, or pea-soup colored...for cupcakes...yuck!) and just didn't want to waste the time or ingredients when the people I'm baking for probably don't care anyway. And look how vibrant and pretty they are! I used a loose Royal Icing, piping in the design first and then filling in the center.



On to Meringue Bunnies. I thought they were so dang cute, but the picture doesn't quite do them the justice they deserve. These are about 6" in height. I traced a cutter on parchment, flipped it over (so nobody eats pencil lead) and filled in the design, piping first around the edges. The decors are naturally colored, made by India Tree, sold at Whole Foods. I actually made these two days ago, which I usually would never do, but meringues don't get stale. That is one of the reasons I chose them; they're easy to pre-make, inexpensive, delicious, and something that most people would never think to create. To keep them crisp and from picking up any odd flavors, I kept the tray in my lower oven, unwrapped. They're just as nice as when I first baked them, and I had the extra time to prepare other goodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment