Wednesday, April 28, 2010

A Happy Ending Afterall

Thank goodness for mistakes (sometimes). A week or so ago I got an email from Baskin Robbins informing me that tonight is 31 cent scoop night. They even sent out a reminder last night. This morning, however, I forgot all about it and wanted to make something sweet, not too heavy, and small in quantity so it won't be hanging around very long. I made a moist (though not gummy) angel food cake in a loaf pan. Stores sell these all the time, and I have been wanting to try this method as a way to not eat an entire 1 1/2 cups of sugar in one sitting. Not that I do that, but I have a weakness for egg whites and sugar, so it is a bit hard to stop!

Anyway, the cake turned out nicely, although I do not recommend using a glass loaf pan. I made a full recipe wanting to experiment and see what would happen with different pan types. I am so glad I did because the one in the Pyrex slid right out when I turned it upside down to cool, resulting in a compacted mass. Yuck. But the one in the nonstick metal pan did just fine, staying put, barely clinging, but coming out nicely too. This is a perfect recipe for two people or on nights when you don't want cake as leftovers!


Angel Food Cake Loaf


1/2 cup sifted cake flour (sift, then measure)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cold water
3/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 or 2 drops almond extract
1/4 tsp lemon zest
6 egg whites, at room temperature

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line the bottom of an 9" metal loaf pan with parchment, but do NOT spray with any type of oil or fat (it will not climb properly).

Sift and measure the flour, then add 1/2 cup of the sugar. Sift together 3 times.

Put the egg whites, water, cream of tartar, salt, and flavorings in a large bowl.Beat until barely stiff peaks form (don't overbeat). Turn speed to low and beat in remaining 1/4 cup of sugar gradually. Turn mixer off. Add the sifted flour and sugar 3-4 tbsp at a time, gently folding in each addition.

Gently spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. It will be very full (probably to the edge).

Bake 35-40 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Remove from oven and immediately invert to cool. Since it's not in a tube pan you can't use a bottle to hold it up. I used my roasting rack which is curved and held the pan perfectly, resting on each side (so the cake hung above the U shape of the rack).

Once the cake is completely cool, turn the pan over and run a knife along the edge. Gently pull the cake out onto a cutting board, cut, and serve.

5-6 servings

Now to finish my story about Baskin Robbins.... I made the cake and remembered as it cooled. Naturally, I'd already told my children about what was going on at the ice cream parlor tonight, so I figured I'd set the cake aside for tomorrow and treat them to an inexpensive night out. We showed up only to find a sign in the window that said they decided not to participate this year. Huh?! Now, I understand the economy and everything, but to do so much advertising and then bail on an event that also happens to benefit firefighters? I thought that was really low, and I didn't really feel like paying $3 per scoop instead...especially when we had this lovely cake sitting at home. My children were really good sports (maybe because of the cake?!) and we headed home for a slice of angel food with spirited cherries and freshly whipped cream. So there, B&R!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment