Saturday, July 3, 2010

BBQ Time!

I really enjoy entertaining, but it's so much work that we only have people over occasionally. The process starts about a week in advance, with me planning my menu and getting input from my family. Then shopping, of course, and the day before (at least) I am busy in the kitchen, trying to get as much stuff premade as possible. That way, on the day of the get together or party, I can (hopefully) have time to relax a bit. Of course, that's usually wishful thinking since there's always last minute things to get ready and cleaning to do.

Most people buy everything already done at the store, and when I'm in the midst of making a million things from scratch I totally see why! It's very tempting to go buy a few bottles of dressings and mustards instead of spending the extra time to make each one separately, or pick up a box of cookies, or buy premade buns, or whatever.... I justify what I do because of the care and effort put into it. It tastes better. Much of the time it costs a lot less to make it myself, and it's healthier too! But mostly, if I'm having you over for a meal it's because I care about you and I want to show you that with what I do best: Food! I'm not doing it to show off or strut my stuff; I'm doing it because that's what I know how to (and want to) do. I feel that if I make enough variety then everyone should be happy with at least one thing! (The hope, also, is that you'll want to come back for more at a later date.) So, that brings me to tomorrow. The Fourth of July barbecue....

Today I'm making as much in advance as I can, yet again, because we're starting the barbecue early. Kids will come over and swim, drinks will be served, appetizers out, and the rotisserie on the grill going slowly. Fun!

Here's our menu:

-Rotisserie Ham (from our local piggy we bought last fall)
-Various sauces, incl: BBQ sauce from our local BBQ shack (why try to compete?!), homemade honey mustard, homemade regular mustard
-A HUGE Tossed Salad, with all the yummy things growing now (arugula, kale, butter lettuce, romaine, spinach, garden carrots, scallions), plus roasted corn kernels, bacon pieces, homemade croutons, and a homemade blue cheese dressing
-Molded Fruit Salad (Apple Cherry Juice Gelatin, cherries, blueberries, and Oregon strawberries) with whipped, sweetened creme fraiche
-Baked Beans, brought by our lovely friends
-Grilled Bacon-Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers, brought by those same great friends
-Assorted Chips and Homemade Dips
-Natural sodas and tons of local microbrews, in our trusty patio fridge
-Minted Strawberry Lemonade


HAPPY 4th OF JULY!!










No comments:

Post a Comment