Friday, July 9, 2010

I Made My Own Birthday Cake...

Even my six-year-old thought it was weird that I was making my own cake. OK, I suppose it is certainly not traditional, but I enjoy doing this kind of thing, I had a specific idea of what I wanted to share with my family, and it's just too good to not have the excuse to make it one last time before strawberry season is up (although, it's just starting for us locally!). So I made the Strawberry Chantilly Cream Cake again, with the King Arthur White Cake recipe, divided into four layers, each of which was spread with whipped creme fraiche and sliced berries from my friend's organic local farm, and then the whole thing was slathered with a Cream Cheese Icing. Sooo tasty!

*A quick note on the Cream Cheese Icing, though.... I have tried two varieties found in the Natural Foods section now, and they react differently than the usual Philadelphia or Western Family brands. When I made my regular recipe that uses 1 lb of cream cheese and 1 stick butter, I used Nancy's (because it is just cultured cream) and it was almost runny. I had to use a lot more powdered sugar to get the right consistency (and it tasted slightly different too). For this cake I used 8 oz (1 brick) of Organic Valley, which has a few "natural" stabilizers in it, 1 stick of butter, 1 tsp vanilla, and about 3 cups of powdered sugar. It's a bit more sweet than the original, but was easy to work with and everyone thought it tasted great!

No comments:

Post a Comment