Saturday, July 17, 2010

Absolutely Homemade S'Mores

Just in time for summer camping trips, everyone seems to have their grocery carts stocked with Hershey's bars, graham crackers, and Kraft Jet-Puffed Marshmallows. I can't believe I used to be able to sit and roast marshmallows for hours when I was a teenager, eating almost half a bag! Ugh. The thought now almost makes me sick to my stomach, thinking of such a sugar overload. (Please don't tell my kids that classified information!!) A few years ago I figured out how to make my own marshmallows. The store bought ones sometimes taste rather stale, and they have added artificial flavors and colorings. The graham crackers have all sorts of interesting ingredients as well; including preservatives and partially hydrogenated vegetable oil, which has made this pantry staple a big no-no in our house. Not to mention that the typical s'more, with a big hunk of chocolate bar in the middle never melts completely before the marshmallow solidifies and gets cool. What to do?

In the natural foods aisle of the grocery store I found New Morning Grahams, which are all-natural. I paint these crackers with melted high quality dark chocolate (use your favorite brand), let them set up, and then, if I'm feeling creative, I'll pipe something cute with melted white chocolate in a pastry bag. Then, when you place a gooey, caramelized marshmallow between two pieces...well, the chocolate melts perfectly, covering both sides of the fluff, and is divine. Making your own marshmallows is a breeze, if you have a high speed stand mixer, a candy thermometer, and the foresight to make them two or three days ahead of time. Many recipes are available online; I prefer one that uses gelatin (not egg whites).

If this just looks too tasty, but you don't have time to make this lovely treat, leave a comment at the bottom and we can discuss delivery and cost later (sorry, no shipping for meltables right now, though, with the heat wave we're experiencing).

No comments:

Post a Comment