Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A Note About Bananas (and other foods from far away)

I need to write an explanation about my usage of bananas recently. I realize that I've posted several recipes that include them, and I have three very ripe ones sitting in my fruit bowl that may or may not make their way into something baked tonight or tomorrow.

I try to shop sustainably and seasonally, buy organics whenever possible, and support local merchants and farmers often. This is such an important cause to support, on so many levels and for so many reasons. We have a garden, we buy a CSA share* annually, and we frequent the Farmer's Market when it's running. We are fortunate to have a lot of local agricultural products around us; we know the farmers we buy our meat from, I seek out farm-fresh eggs, and we have unlimited access to all the wonderful Oregon-made dairy products. Unfortunately, our growing season doesn't last long enough for me, and even though I can, freeze, and dry like crazy all through the spring, summer, and fall, we still crave fresh fruit and veggies. Especially when February rolls around.

Bananas don't even grow in the USA (at least, not the ones that available for us to purchase here). Avocados do; in fact, they come into season in Southern California in November. We don't see those, however. Our grocery stores sell Chilean varieties instead. And while pineapples may be from Hawaii, there's still an ocean and several thousand miles separating us from those farmers. These don't exactly fit into "local" and sustainable produce, especially considering how inexpensive they are (49 cents/lb, 2 for $1, and $2.50 each, respectively). It seems like Americans should be willing to pay a premium to have these specialized items, or at least to cover the jet fuel used to get them here!

While I try very, very hard to buy locally, in the dead of winter I sometimes lose my resolve for fresh produce. Mealy apples just don't cut it! So if you notice I'm posting a slew of banana recipes, or one using a fresh pineapple, please note that it happens rarely throughout the course of a year, and I AM conscious of the economical and environmetal impact this may (and probably does) have. (Of course, it IS also important to expose our children to all sorts of different foods as well, and I try to do that as much as possible too.)

*A CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) share is a wonderful opportunity for people to connect with their local farmers. Basically, you pay your farmer for a summer's worth of fresh produce and pick up what's available weekly. This means you buy in season, it's a LOT fresher than store bought veggies, you and your children develop a relationship with whomever is growing your food, and you're probably exposed to fewer pesticides and bacteria. Every week is a special surprise; some times you may get just a few items, sometimes it's too much to carry, and another week you may find sometimg at the pick up you were just not expecting (like strawberries).

2 comments:

  1. A well-stated and thoughtful post.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Actually, I think bananas were both of my kids' first foods as well. And avocado. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete