Saturday, February 13, 2010

Kids' Favorite...PIZZA Night!


I have banned myself from baking any more desserts this week. It's very difficult when you go for a long walk and think up different cake flavor combinations and begin to daydream about actually creating them. But I don't want to eat them.... So I'll hold off for now!

That said, I'm having a rare afternoon where I really don't want to make dinner, but I don't want to go out either. I have all the ingredients for pizza, and it's always a crowd pleaser and easy to make, so pizza it is! My kiddos have been really into Valentine's Day this year, so I made it into a heart shape. Yes, I know this is the third heart shaped item baked in a week, but...it is what it is. My kids are thrilled, and that's what counts! It tastes just as good in a circle, square, or pumpkin shape as well (a Halloween tradition for us).

I used veggie pepperoni because it's better for us than regular meaty pepperoni, and it doesn't give my son a tummy ache like the original. I put half under the cheese (because it gets crispy on top), and then cut a few into hearts for their side. The more adult side has chicken sausage, more pepperoni, olives, and roasted red peppers. I may have snuck a few veggies onto the kiddie side too, but they won't even notice!


Homemade Pizza Crust

Mix together and let stand until foamy, about 5 min:
1 cup very warm water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1/2 tsp sugar

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat or white whole wheat flour*
1 1/2 cups all purpose or unbleached bread flour
1 tsp salt

Pour yeast mixture into dry and add 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix and knead by hand or with a mixer until a soft, smooth, elastic dough forms. You may need to add a few more tablespoons of warm water, depending on the types of flour used and how dry the air is around you.

Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat, and let rise 40 min-1 hour, or until doubled in bulk. (Sometimes I do this up to two hours ahead and let it stand; it always turns out great.)

Prepare toppings. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Grease a large pizza pan or cookie sheet. Using your fingers, spread dough gently to the edges of the pan, making it thick or thin, as desired. Top with sauce, cheese, veggies, meat, etc. Bake for 15-18 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and the cheese is melted.

Makes one large pizza or two smaller ones.




*Whole wheat flour has a fuller, more robust flavor than white whole wheat, even thought the nutritional properties are the same. If you decide to use the white whole wheat flour, you may want to try 2 cups and reduce the all purpose (or bread) flour to 1 cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment