Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chocolate Lover?

I do post a lot of chocolate recipes, and I will continue to do so as time goes by. I should give a bit of explanation before I do too many more, however, just so everyone knows where I'm coming from.

I have never been a big fan of chocolate. Surprised?! As a child I would trade my sister for any of her hard candies at Halloween, gladly reliquishing any candy bars or M&Ms that may have found their way into my bag. As I got older and was exposed to better quality chocolates, I began to develop a taste and appreciation for various varieties (always dark, occasionally white, never milk).

Somebody introduced me to Godiva. I think it must've been my older sister, but whomever it was...maybe she shouldn't have!! I loved going to the boutique in Pioneer Place (Portland, OR) because I could buy just one or two chocolates. That little fix would get me through a whole year! I finally began to branch out and try other varieties, but mostly because they were gifted to me and I wanted to use them. Things do not get better with time, especially sitting in the baking cabinet! I began to experiment and see what recipes I would actually enjoy eating.

Now I keep several varieties on hand; currently I have Merckens, Guittard, Scharffenberger, Dagoba, Ghiraradelli chips...and the powdered cocoas, both natural and dutch-process from Penzeys. One would think I am a total chocolate nut! To be honest, I have been trying varieties out side-by-side to see which I like best, so my supply right now is a bit of an anomaly.

The quality of the chocolate you choose for any recipe is a very important factor. How good do you want your end result to be? If you only want a so-so product, then use a so-so chocolate (you know, Western Family chips!!). Otherwise, stick with the good stuff and you'll be rewarded with a fabulous cake, brownies, cookies, etc.

Do I eat the stuff I make? I always try it. I love one piece of cake, maybe one or two cookies. But by the time I'm through with the fuss of making whatever it may be, I've usually gotten my sensual fill. Chocolate smells amazing! Then I'm set for quite a while...although, I don't seem to be able to go a whole year anymore on just one or two truffles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment