Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Healthy "Cupcake" Treats

I just finished preparing a special order for a little girl's first birthday party. When the email came in, I got pretty excited. The parents were asking for a lower sugar, whole wheat, healthy cake or cupcakes. I love it when people are health-concious like that, and I love that I had the chance to create something memorable and tasty for such a milestone birthday!
I steered them toward cupcakes, because of portion control, and also so I could use a healthy muffin recipe as the base. I could've made a whole wheat layer cake, of course, but I would've had to use lots of butter and sugar to get an acceptable crumb; muffins are a little more forgiving. By topping them with cream cheese icing the little girl will be getting more sugar, sure, but she'll also take in some calcium and protein instead of just empty calories and saturated fat. I used pink natural food dye for hers and all natural lavender sprinkles (by India Tree). I couldn't resist cutting out some leftover homemade marshmallow fondant for the inital of her first name too. The adults' "cupcakes" were topped with toasted walnut pieces.

The following muffin recipe (or "cupcake" recipe) is a good base for whatever fruit is in season. For my daughter's preschool birthday celebration (they bring a treat instead of snack on their day), I made these with fresh blackberries from the farmers' market and a little lemon zest. The kids were thrilled, and I was happy that they weren't having shortening-laden sugar bombs from a big box store (that trusty kitchen license came in handy!).

Whole Wheat "Cupcakes" with Cream Cheese Icing
For Apple Spice muffins, omit the lemon zest. Instead, use a teaspoon or so of cinnamon, a pinch of cloves, nutmeg, and allspice, and fold in one grated apple.

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
zest of 1 organic lemon
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh or frozen berries or chopped fruit

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 12-15 muffin cups with papers (this recipe makes 12 muffins with big, fluffy tops. If you spread it between 14 or 15 cups you'll have a better decorating surface for icing.)

Stir together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In another bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, oil, egg, vanilla, and lemon zest. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir lightly to combine. Fold in the fruit.

Bake about 20 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched and are a golden brown. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack until cooled completely.


Cream Cheese Icing

8 oz cream cheese, at room temp
1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, at room temp
3-4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

Beat the cream cheese and butter together until smooth and fluffy. Add the vanilla. Slowly beat in the powdered sugar, until creamy. Use less for a spreadable icing or a little more for piping. This icing dries quickly, so if you're using sprinkles, decorate as you go (don't wait until they're all iced).

2 comments:

  1. I’m sure many people like this especially with the Cream Cheese Icing. It really looks yummy. I'll bake some of this for my mom's birthday this weekend. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how your cup cakes look. They are simple but really looks indulging. I should better try this one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete