Monday, November 8, 2010

Comfort Food Classics

My husband hates Tuna Noodle Casserole. Always has, and probably always will. When he leaves for a few days, in this case for elk hunting, I always leap at the chance to recreate a childhood favorite. My children love it, and so do I!

In the past, I can remember opening up a can of soup, a few cans of tuna, and frozen veggies, tossing it all with some pasta shells, baking it, and calling it good. Knowing about BPA in can linings and being turned off by processed ingredients, I now make my own sauce instead. Trader Joe's doesn't use BPA in any of their canned fish products; I always stock up whenever I have the chance (and I like that they carry no salt added varieties)! The recipe that follows is typical of my occasional pantry raiding. Rarely are my casseroles alike, depending on fresh ingredients that may or may not be available, whether or not I've planned ahead...that kind of thing. Yes, I used frozen veggies because I had some! Another night I might cut up my own carrot pieces, saute them with the celery and onion, and just toss in a handful of peas. It's all about what's on hand and what sounds tasty! This recipe version of Tuna Noodle Casserole was delicious and hit the spot!

Tuna Noodle Casserole

8 oz dry whole wheat pasta shells
.34 ounce bag dried wild mushrooms
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbsp white wine
2 cans chunk light tuna (I like no salt added)
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables or peas and carrots
2 cups lowfat milk (1%)
3 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1-2 slices whole wheat bread
Italian seasoning
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
salt and pepper, to taste

Place the mushrooms in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Let stand until soft, about 15-20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Pulse the bread slices in a food processor until crumbly. Place on a cookie sheet and bake about 5-10 minutes (while the oven is preheating is fine), or until toasted. Place in a bowl, sprinkle with Italian seasoning, and toss with about 1 tbsp olive oil. Set aside.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add a pinch of kosher salt and the pasta; cook until al dente.

While the pasta is cooking, heat a little olive oil in a medium skillet. Saute the onions, garlic, and celery until softened. Drain the mushrooms, chop, and add to the onion mixture. Add 1-2 tbsp white wine, cook a few more minutes, and season with salt and pepper. Pour into a large mixing bowl and set aside.

Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour. Slowly whisk in the milk. Stir until thickened and bubbly. Pour over the mushrooms and onions; stir to coat.

Drain the two cans of tuna and add to the mixing bowl, along with the frozen veggies. Stir to thoroughly combine, adding a little more salt and pepper if necessary.

Drain the pasta and add to the mixing bowl. Fold in gently. Pour into a 13x9" baking dish. Top with the bread crumbs. Bake 25-30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the casserole is bubbling. Remove from oven and let stand about 5-10 minutes. Serve hot.

Serves 5-6.

1 comment:

  1. As our dinner was baking, my daughter pulled her stool up to the empty mixing bowl and licked it clean! The sauce is delicious!

    ReplyDelete