Friday, August 20, 2010

Not Necessarily Shortbread

We are having slightly unexpected dinner guests this evening, so I am quickly coming up with a more full menu than what I'd originally planned for just us. Serving dessert is a must, of course, since that's how I do things! Getting creative with what I have on hand posed to be a bit challenging, as I didn't want to set out something too heavy on a hot summer day. I whipped up a small batch of Lavender Shortbread-Inspired Cookies and made a quick trip to the store for some organic blueberries, which I would later puree and turn into a refreshing sorbet.

Traditional shortbread rings of just butter, flour, and a hint of sugar pressed, cut and baked. Naturally I can't leave that simple of a recipe alone and have to tweak it a bit. It seems that each time I've made shortbread it's too crumbly anyhow, and it breaks apart even after it's been baked. By adding a little cream I created a flaky pastry-like cookie, and I threw in a hint of fresh lavender to add a little extra flavor.

Lavender Shortbread-Inspired Cookies
Feel free to experiment with the amount of lavender you use. I like just a hint, as I think too much gives food a soapy flavor, but some people really enjoy eating floral-scented treats and might opt for more than I used.

1 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
3 1/2 tbsp sugar
pinch salt
few tbsp whipping cream
1 tbsp fresh lavender flowers
sanding sugar, optional

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Using a food processor, pulse the flour, sugar, butter, and salt to thoroughly combine. Add 1-2 tbsp cream, pulsing to combine. Add more if necessary, until you have a non sticky dough that can be easily pressed together using your fingers. Gather into a ball. Chill dough, if necessary (I chilled the extra after rolling the first bit out to make it easier to work with).

Roll dough out onto a Silpat mat or a piece of parchment paper. Cut into shapes, or use a knife and cut into rectangles or squares. Peel away excess dough and set the mat or parchment onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle cut out cookies with sanding sugar, if using. Bake about 20 minutes, just until the edges start to lightly brown. Remove to a rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.


Blueberry-Basil Sorbet

3 pints fresh blueberries, washed
1 small handful fresh basil leaves
approx 1/2 cup agave nectar
1/4 cup lemon juice

Puree the blueberries in a blender or food processor. Strain to remove the skins and seeds. Rinse out the blender jar (it doesn't need to be super clean) and pour the strained puree back in. Add the lemon juice and basil and puree. Add the agave, to taste. It should only be slightly sweet, not overpoweringly so, so that the fruit has a chance to shine instead of the sweetness.

Pour into your ice cream maker and freeze. Makes about 1 qt.

No comments:

Post a Comment