Saturday, March 6, 2010

Macaroni & Cheese, Revisited

A few months ago I received a Williams-Sonoma catalog in the mail. I always enjoy seeing what the newest gadgets and state-of-the-art cookware is, so I had to carve a few minutes into the afternoon to check it out. Sadly, the company has started to cave to the overpriced "gourmet" pre-made mix clientele, but occasionally they still throw a fabulous, made-from-scratch recipe out there. Such is their Cauliflower Mac & Cheese. I know the title sounds unassuming, but when I looked over the ingredients I knew I had to give it a try. But I didn't want to have a heart attack in the process, and because the original recipe uses over 2 tsp salt, oodles of butter, white pasta, whole milk, tons of pancetta, AND heavy cream, I couldn't conceive making it without lightening it somewhat in the process. I suppose vegetarians could omit the pancetta, but it gives such amazing flavor and depth to this dish that it would be a little sad! If there is a suitable substitute out there, however, I will gladly give it a try! (Please let me know.) Here's my lighter, healthier-but-still-delicious version....

Cauliflower Mac & Cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Toss together in a small bowl and set aside:
1 1/2 cups fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (about 2 slices)
1 tbsp dried parsley (if fresh is in season, use it!)
pinch salt
few twists freshly ground pepper
1 tbsp canola oil

While preparing other ingredients, cook 1 lb brown rice pasta according to manufacturer's directions. (Whole wheat overwhelms the cheese sauce; brown rice is healthier than white pasta and doesn't get soggy or gummy. It also compliments the cauliflower very well...think cheesy rice!)

Julienne 4 oz pancetta. Fry in a large saute pan until browned and crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels, reserving the grease in the pan.

Remove the florets from one head of cauliflower, chopping them into bite-sized pieces. Saute in the reserved grease until browned, just a few minutes (add 1 tbsp canola oil if it seems too dry). Add 2 tbsp water, cover and let steam over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a 13x9" pan.

In the same saute pan, melt 3 tbsp butter. Add 1/4 cup flour; whisk to combine. Whisk in 2 tbsp white wine and 4 cups lowfat milk (I used 1%). Cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, grate 7 oz Gouda and 7 oz Fontina cheese (you want to have about 5 cups total). Add to the thickened milk, stirring until melted.

Stir in:
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp cayenne
1 tsp sea salt
pepper, to taste

Stir the pasta and pancetta into the sauce. Pour over the cauliflower, carefully folding to combine. Sprinkle with the bread crumb mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.

Serves 10-12, supposedly, but mac and cheese goes pretty fast in our house, even with leftovers! (One more reason to lighten things up a bit.)

1 comment:

  1. Alternately, you can roast the cauliflower in the oven. Bacon is a good substitute for the pancetta. If I have Greenblade Bakery croutons on hand, I will grind them up and use as a topping instead of the breadcrumb mixture.

    ReplyDelete