Friday, March 19, 2010

The kids loved it, afterall...

I set our dinner plates on the dining table. My son walks up, takes one look and says "Oh, gross, Mom. We're supposed to eat that? Ewww! What is it?"

Now, I fully deserve this. I gave my mom a lot of grief as a very picky eater when I was little, so comments like my son's actually make me smile inside, as I think of the revenge my mom must be enjoying. My response is along the lines of: "Just try it. Remember? Sometimes things look odd when they're actually very good."

"What is it?" He says. And then, before I can respond, "Mmmm, this is really good!" (shovel, shovel) "Really good! Yum!" (shovel, shovel) And my two-year-old daughter is inhaling the spinach and chicken over rice too, as fast as she can.

I have enjoyed introducing my children to various spice combinations from before they were born, and we always seek out ethnic cuisine when traveling. Indian food is nothing new for them. I have, however, just started dabbling in cooking more interesting combinations, mostly because we don't have anything other than a lone Japanese restaurant, a few typical Chinese greasy-out-of-a-box options, and lots and lots of Mexican food available here. I simply get to missing the flavors of more exotic fare between trips. When I cook this type of food at home, however, I don't use hot chillies and I am very cautious with the cayenne pepper. I feel that getting my kids used to the different flavor combinations is the important part, and as they acquire a taste for spicier things then I will increase the heat. So far it's worked; they are willing to try new things (no matter how odd they might look at first) and they usually enjoy them. I always have the hot sauces available for my husband, and if you prefer spicier combinations, please add more cayenne to taste and use a chili pepper with more heat (like a serrano or jalapeno).

Indian-Spiced Chicken with Spinach

8 oz spinach leaves, well cleaned
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1 chili pepper (I used an Anaheim because they're more mild, but use whatever you prefer)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bay leaf
1 tsp each: Garam Masala, ground coriander, cumin, turmeric, and paprika
1/8-1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 cup chopped tomatoes (canned or fresh)
1/4 cup plain yogurt, plus more for serving
1 1/4 lbs boneless skinless chicken thigh meat, cut into large chunks
salt and pepper, to taste
cooked brown rice

Place the spinach in a large saute pan with a little water. Cover and cook on high a few minutes, until wilted. Transfer to a food processor and add about 1/4 cup of the remaining cooking liquid. Add the chili, garlic, and ginger; process until smooth.

Wipe out the pan. Add 1-2 tbsp oil and heat over med-high. Saute the onion until translucent. Add the spices and the bay leaf; cook and stir about 2 minutes longer. Add the tomatoes and simmer 2 minutes longer, breaking up with a spoon.

Pour the spinach into the pan, bring to a simmer, and cook an additional 5 min. Add the yogurt, 1 tbsp at a time. Stir in the chicken pieces. Lightly simmer about 30 minutes, covered. (The chicken will be done before the 30 min, but the extra time allows it to get very tender and flavorful.)

Serve on top of the rice. A mango lassi (yogurt and mango blended into a delicious drink) makes it even more appealing to kids!

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment