Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Christmas Cookies!

Cookies are a quintessential part of Christmas for me. When I was growing up, my older sister would spend hours upon days baking with my younger sister and me, making all kinds of irresistible goodies. I remember Spritz, Sugar Cookie Cutouts (with gobs of frosting, candies, and sprinkles), and Gingerbread Men the most, but I'm sure my mother also baked other varieties as well. Now I enjoy making all kinds of cookies, and because I am now providing treats for other families (and getting paid for it!), I have the opportunity to go a little nuts with flavors. Between yesterday and today I made 13 different types!! It's been a little crazy in the kitchen for me, and I can't say it's going to slow down any time soon. But, that's because of the holidays, and I know there's an end in sight (January!). Still, I'm enjoying the hectic pace. For the picture and flavors I made for my CSB, click here.


Neapolitan Cookies
One of my absolute favorite Christmas cookies, this recipe was introduced to me in a cookie package sent from NY by my younger sister two years ago. They are moist, cakey, and...wonderful (even after being shipped cross-country!). Be sure to make them a day in advance so they can sit overnight in the refrigerator.


1 pkg. or can (7 or 8oz.) almond paste
3 sticks butter, unsalted and softened
1 cup sugar
4 large eggs, separated
1 tsp. almond extract
2 cups unsifted all purpose flour
Red and Green food coloring
1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/4 cup apricot preserves
1/2 pkg. (6oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp shortening


Grease bottom and sides of 9 X 13 dish, line with parchment paper; grease.

In large bowl, with electric mixer, beat almond paste, butter, sugar, egg yolks and almond extract until fluffy. Beat in flour. In small bowl, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold into almond paste mixture.

Divide batter evenly for 3 layers. Add red food coloring to one and green coloring to the other. Spread green batter into prepared dish. Bake 350 for 15 minutes. Watch that it doesn't start to brown.

Holding edge of wax paper, lift and invert on rack or cutting board. Spread with raspberry jam..

Reline dish and spread with white batter. Cook about 15 minutes watching that it does not brown. Invert on top of raspberry jam.

Spread white layer with apricot jam.

Cook red layer as above invert on apricot jam layer.

Refrigerate - cover, set heavy pan on top.

Next day: Trim the edges of the rectangle to make all sides even. Melt chocolate chips, being careful not to get them too hot. Stir in shortening. Spread over red layer. Let chocolate set slightly, and then cut crosswise into 1/2" strips. Cut each into four pieces. (Use a good chef's knife to cut into the cookies. If it starts to stick or get crumbs in the chocolate topping, run the knife under hot water, dry, and then slice. Or, wipe it on a hot, moistened towel in between cuts.)


Coconut Pyramids (macaroons)
These cookies look so pretty alone or on a cookie platter with other varieties. You can make the dough the night before and refrigerate it until the next morning, if needed.

1 1/4 cups sugar
5 1/4 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut*
7 egg whites
pinch kosher salt
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 oz semisweet chocolate
1/2 tsp shortening


In a large bowl, mix together the coconut, egg whites, and salt. Stir in the butter and extracts. Refrigerate for at least one hour, or overnight.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Moisten your hands with water. Scoop 1 tbsp of dough with your hands and squeeze into a tight ball. Use your fingers or a spatula to press against the four sides to form a pyramid. Place on the baking sheet.

Bake until the edges are lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.

Melt the chocolate and stir in the shortening. Dip the tops of the cookies and let harden. Store in an airtight container up to 3 days.

Makes about 3 1/2 dozen (can be cut in half easily).

*Make sure to use unsweetened coconut, not the sweetened stuff in the baking aisle. I found finely shredded, unsweetened coconut in the natural foods aisle. Bob's Red Mill has coconut flakes that would work too, if you process them in your food processor until finely chopped first.

No comments:

Post a Comment