Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Snowman Marshmallows!

By now it's not much of a secret that I make my own marshmallows. I've made several flavors to date, and each one has something unique to offer. I always fall back on vanilla, though. It's easy, fool-proof (especially considering it's candy, which can often be iffy), and extremely versatile. I use my basic recipe for homemade marshmallow fondant (the stuff to cover cakes with and sculpt decorations out of), reduce the gelatin for a less stiff marshmallow icing for cupcakes, make crispy rice treats, and so on.

This Friday is my son's first grade Christmas party. Each student in his class is supposed to bring 22 small items in lieu of a gift exchange. The child puts one thing in the stockings his teacher has supplied, and all kids end up with a full sack of goodies. I wanted to be able to use my trusty new kitchen license, and to give the kids something familiar but also new that they probably haven't tried before. I made marshmallows. I figure everyone likes vanilla, and since Peeps are so insanely popular with children (and adults)...well, I'd make something festive out of the mallow. I used a round ornament cutter (the snowman one mangled the sticky candy), dipped it in powdered sugar between "cuts," and produced 22 little snow balls. I have some food color pens, Food Writers, that are like markers but made with food coloring. I used those to draw on carrot noses, coal for the eyes and mouths, and a little hint of color for the hats. I think they're cute, and they taste so good too! Of course, my son promptly said that, yes, they do look like snowmen, but they could also pass as jack o'lanterns. Hmm...oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment