Monday, January 18, 2010

The Commitment Baguette


I am a big fan of http://www.eatingwell.com/ (and their publications), so tonight I made their Cheddar-Cauliflower Soup to have with some fresh whole wheat baguette and a salad of mixed local greens with pomegranate seeds, toasted pine nuts, goat cheese, and a simple dressing of pomegranate vinegar and olive oil.


A few years ago I stumbled on a copy of King Arthur Flour's Whole Grain Baking Book in our local library. My mom bought me a copy because I loved it so much, and the library ended up stocking two because I'd had it checked out for so long!! This book has wonderful ways to incorporate more whole grains into one's diet, and while the whole wheat baguette recipe isn't 100% whole grain, it is fabulous and a treat when I have the forsight to make it. Yes, forsight. Because it takes 3 days to get to its best flavor! So please, PLEASE plan ahead or it's just not worth it!


Wheat Baguettes


Combine 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup water, and a pinch of yeast. Cover with plastic and let sit at room temperature overnight.


The next morning, combine:


the pre-ferment

1 cup luke warm water

1/4 cup orange juice (it mellows the wheat flavor)

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour

2 1/4 cups unbleached bread flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp yeast


Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a covered greased bowl and let rise about 4 hours, turning and deflating the dough once every hour.


Divide into three equal pieces. Cover and let them rest for 15 minutes. Roll each into long loaves, 12-16" in length, depending on your tastes (more or less crust, thicker loaf, etc). Cut one or two shallow slits with a sharp knife into each baguette. Place onto a greased or parchment lined baking sheet, cover and let rise for 30 minutes. Place in refrigerator OVERNIGHT. (I told you these take commitment! But they're worth every step.)


The next day, let the loaves rise for 1 1/2 hours at room temperature. About 1/2 an hour before you're ready to bake them, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Uncover and, using a pizza peel, slide them onto a baking stone (or just put the pan in the oven). Bake about 23 minutes, or until golden brown and hollow when tapped. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 3 delicious loaves of baguette.


For the crispiest crust: I use a few different products to help out the artisan flavor. First, instead of using plastic wrap in my rising steps, I place the loaves in a couche, a well-floured baker's cloth. It also make them a bit sturdier to move, if needed. Second, I bake them on a baking stone or in a perforated pan; both give similar results. Third, I toss a bit of hot water into the bottom of the oven (1/2 cup or so) to create steam just as I'm about to close the door.




No comments:

Post a Comment