Friday, January 28, 2011

Warm Bread with Gooey Pockets of Cheese

Tonight I made soup for dinner, and as the time got closer to when I'd need to start prep work, I realized I needed to come up with something to serve alongside. Garlic-Cheese Biscuits popped into my mind first, and they're certainly easy and fast (and delicious), but the thought of warm, crusty, cheesy bread took over and I knew I'd better get started if I wanted to eat warm bread for dinner and not late tonight. I looked up soem recipes, and King Arthur's version really sounded tasty. As I read furthur, however, I found that it needed to rest overnight, with a preferment, so that was out. Needing a quick, whole grain variety, I did some experimenting and came up with this loaf!

Whole Grain Cheese Loaf
If you prefer the flavor and texture of all white flour to whole grains, use a total of 4 1/2 cups bread flour instead of the amounts called for below. I used 7 grain bread flour instead of whole wheat this time.

1 tbsp instant yeast*
2 cups warm milk
2 tsp sugar
2 tbsp butter, melted
3/4 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder, optional
1 tbsp dried parsley, crumbled
2 1/2 cups whole wheat or 7 grain flour
2 cups bread flour
6 oz cheese, cubed (Fontina, Gruyere, or Sharp Cheddar)
2 oz cheese, shredded

Combine the yeast, flours, garlic powder, parsley, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Add the milk and butter, and stir until combined. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. If using a mixer, use dough hook and combine on speed 2, letting it knead the mixture until it's smooth and elastic.

Pat the dough into a rough triangle and sprinkle with the cheese cubes and shreds. Roll it up, and form it into a ball. Grease a 1 1/2 quart casserole. Place the dough in the pan and score it with a sharp knife so that some cheese shows through, in an "X."

Cover and let rise one hour. Near the end of the bread's rise, preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Bake 50-60 minutes.

Let stand 30 minutes before cutting; serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment